Post subject: The Airforce Squadron
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:15 pm 
VilaWolf: Annoying Folklorist
VilaWolf: Annoying Folklorist

Favorite Character: David
Clan: Clan David
Club: Alan's Army Surplus and Sneers
About a year ago I stumbled on this patch:

All I had to go on the sellers instance that it was a USA Airforce Squadron Patch. (No I did not buy it since the seller was not that specific as to the Squad's details. I'm wishing I had bought it though)

On my own I could find absolutely nothing on this batch of fliers. Fearing it was was a 'privet club' of fliers (not unknown and actually very common in the military for each group to give themselves unofficial nicknames and have custom patches made. My Brother int he Army has a collection of all the custom patches he's been given in his 20+ years in the military) I asked a friend of mine who know more about the Airforce than I do about it and while he came close to tracking them down, (for one glorious moment it appeared he had pinned them down to the Navy Fighter Squadron VF-29 who were based on the USS Cabot in the Pacific theatre during WW2 but conflicting sites lead him to dismiss it.) but found out that, yes, it is a privet club patch.

Damn it.

Here I had hopped of coming to you all with an amazing tale about the Lost Boys Fliers and their war time service with where they flew, what they flew, where they were stationed, where are they now, how many kills they accumulated and wither or not they gave themselves Lost Boys Nick Names, (Imagine it: David had 6 planes shot down Dwayne had 8 and so on) but unless one of the actual pilots comes forward I don't think thats going to be possible.